Акскл

Акскл

Читатель

• Свой человек
  • 824 сообщений
Paul Nazaroff "Hunted Through Central Asia" Oxford University Press 1993
First published 1932

pp.286-288
Over an immense area in Asia where the wandering Kazakhs ("Kirghiz" in the book - how Russians called Kazakhs to distingusigh them from their Cossacks - A.) have scattered, their manner of life and their peculiar culture, developed through millenia of existence in the free open steppe, is the same, identical in space and identical, too, in time. These nomads were free to move about the plains at their own sweet will, as though upon an open sea, and there was nothing to prevent the Kazakhs of the Tian Shan from wandering away to steppes of Siberia, of the Ural or the Volga, except, of course, nowadays the Bolshevik Government.

This freedom and the mobility of the nomads of the steppe has evolved their own peculiar culture, character and manner of life, and has played a very important part in the history of Asia, which has not yet been properly appre­ciated by historians nor sufficiently studied. It has reacted profoundly on the fate of Russia, and even Western Europe has by no means escaped its influence. The burning sands of Egypt, the valleys of Mesopotamia and of Palestine (the myriad horsemen of Gog and Magog), and of India and the valleys of Russia and of Central Europe and even Chalons, the Catalaunian plains of France, Hellas, too, and Rome, all have seen the forbears of our Kazakh of to-day, though under various names - as Scythians or Massagetae, Huns, Polovtsi, Kipchaks, Kumans, Pechenegs, Alans, Tartars and so on. On every side their invasions have left their mark, not only destructive, for sometimes they have altered the course of historical development and affected the blood, language, character, manners and customs of the people with whom they have come into contact. Just as the Nor­mans in their day made use of their mobility upon the seas to spread their influence and culture throughout the West, so these nomads of the steppes of Asia have done the same in the East. The broad belt of grassy plains across the old continent, which has given rise to the peculiar type of nomad Turki and his inseparable comrade, the horse of the steppe, has had enormous influence on the destinies of the settled nations and of civilisation itself.
All distant invasions and the ` migration of peoples' have been possible owing to one single factor, hitherto ignored by historians, and that is the horse of the steppes. This animal is endowed with most valuable qualities of supporting fatigue and of endless endurance and the power of keeping up prolonged hard work on green food only, on mere grazing, of which other races of horse are quite incapable, being dependent on corn. These outstanding qualities of the steppe horse were fully appreciated and widely used by the great military leaders of Asia, conquerors, Jenghiz Khan, Tamerlane and the others [1], which explains the secret of their success.
The limits of attainment and conquest of the countless hordes of Asia depended not upon the powers of resistance of the subject peoples nor upon their armies, but were defined by the moist meadow grazing, by the cold damp of the north and by the tropical heat of the valleys of India, which were fatal to the horse of the Kazakhs.

1 See Ivanoff, ' On the Art of War of the Mongol-Tartars' (in Russian), a little known but extremely interesting work. Also two papers by me, " The Scythians Past and Present" ('Edinburgh Review,' July 1929, pp. 108-122), and " The Sons of Gog " (' English Review,' March 1930).

Genghis Khan wasn't a Khalkha-Mongol

http://www.chinahist...showtopic=11740

The Onggut/Wanggu tribe - Turkic or Mongol?

http://www.chinahist...showtopic=12671

Предки казахов - кочевники-хунну - 1000 лет правили Кореей, а все корейцы с фамилией Ким - их потомки.
http://www.chinahist...showtopic=25851

АсемаЯ

АсемаЯ
  • Завсегдатай
  • 240 сообщений
Прикольный список аббревиатур на английском для переписки в нете:

* UG2BK . . . . . . . You got to be kidding
* GBTW. . . . . . . . Get back to work
* NMP . . . . . . . . . Not my problem
* PIR . . . . . . . . . . Parent in room
* GFTD. . . . . . . . . Gone for the day
* FYEO. . . . . . . . . For your eyes only
* BI5 . . . . . . . . . . Back in five minutes
* DEGT . . . . . . . . Don’t even go there
* BIL . . . . . Boss is listening
* PAW. . . . Parents are watching
* 99 . . . . . . Parents are no longer watching
* PCM . . . . Please call me
* IMS. . . . . I am sorry
* TOY. . . . . Thinking of you
* KUTGW. . Keep up the good work
* CID . . . . . Consider it done
* FWIW. . . For what it’s worth
* HAND . . . Have a nice day
* IAT . . . . . I am tired
* NRN . . . . No response necessary
* 4COL. . . . For crying out loud
* WRUD. . . What are you doing
* LMIRL. . . Let’s meet in real life
* ^5 . . . . . . High five

MG-42

MG-42

Центральный Спортивный Клуб Армии

• В доску свой
  • 7 263 сообщений
Well, m'am, that's what I really wanna cee here. Where have u found all those nice acronyms? )

АсемаЯ

АсемаЯ
  • Завсегдатай
  • 240 сообщений

Where have u found all those nice acronyms? )

Enjoy!
They were in today's yahoo homeage. Вut you also CAN go to the acronym finder.

Сообщение отредактировал АсемаЯ: 07.08.2009, 15:05:10

MG-42

MG-42

• В доску свой
  • 7 263 сообщений

Hi every buddy!
A grammar question, which one is correct:

I am cool, are'nt I / am'not I?

"aren't I" is correct

роль училки мне не к лицу, какбе...Вощим оба варианта иеют право на жизнь (по Вейхману) и aren't I и am I not.

В разговорном стиле отрицательно-вопросительной концовкой для 1-го лица является aren't I?. Она более характерна для BE (British English - MG-42). В АЕ (American English - MG-42) чаще встречается am I not? или am not? . Для просторечия в обоих вариантах характерна концовка ain't I?.

Вейхман Г.А. В 26 Новое в английской грамматике: Учеб. пособие для ин-тов и фак. иностр. яз.-М.: Высш. шк., 1990.-128с.

MG-42

MG-42

• В доску свой
  • 7 263 сообщений

Where have u found all those nice acronyms? )

Enjoy!
They were in today's yahoo homeage. Вut you also CAN go to the acronym finder.

thnx. and that's the one I am using to translate acronyms and abbreviations in ENG - http://www.acronymfinder.com
AND
http://www.sokr.ru - in RUS.
But basically search engines in general know nearly everything. :)

Сообщение отредактировал MG-42: 07.08.2009, 15:40:43

АсемаЯ

АсемаЯ
  • Завсегдатай
  • 240 сообщений

В разговорном стиле отрицательно-вопросительной концовкой для 1-го лица является

Навеяло: Нью Йорк, Вронкс, в песочнице мама учит дочку 3лет поведению:

"Dont you bite no kids no more! "

MG-42

MG-42

• В доску свой
  • 7 263 сообщений

В разговорном стиле отрицательно-вопросительной концовкой для 1-го лица является

Навеяло: Нью Йорк, Вронкс, в песочнице мама учит дочку 3лет поведению:

"Dont you bite no kids no more! "

ну прям хоть сейчас в учебник "Так говорят на улицах Америки" :)

АсемаЯ

АсемаЯ
  • Завсегдатай
  • 240 сообщений
глюк

Сообщение отредактировал АсемаЯ: 07.08.2009, 16:34:50

MG-42

MG-42

• В доску свой
  • 7 263 сообщений
I wonder, where is Oh-la-la-la? :D

АсемаЯ

АсемаЯ
  • Завсегдатай
  • 240 сообщений
прикольный ролик на тему english

Dadm

Dadm
  • Свой человек
  • 537 сообщений
"too many" people is speakin english in this top :eek:
довайте я с вами :smoke:

Anndi

Anndi
  • Завсегдатай
  • 132 сообщений

прикольный ролик на тему english

That's so funny!! :smoke:

Акскл

Акскл

Читатель

• Свой человек
  • 824 сообщений
MURPHY'S
DICTUMS

You can get more with a smile and a gun,
Than you can get with a smile alone.

Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

He, who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Those who live by the sword,
Get shot by those who don't.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

The 50-50-90 Rule:
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There’s a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

If you lined up all the cars in the world end to end,
Someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them,
Five or six at a time, on a hill, in the fog.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.

The things that come to those who wait;
Will be the things left by those who got there first.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong.
A tax is a fine for doing well.

When you go into court,
You are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people,
Who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Сообщение отредактировал Акскл: 20.08.2009, 05:54:27

АсемаЯ

АсемаЯ
  • Завсегдатай
  • 240 сообщений

MURPHY'S
DICTUMS

супер! :D

AGulshara

AGulshara
  • Постоялец
  • 355 сообщений

Прикольный список аббревиатур на английском для переписки в нете:

туда же lol, brb, imho

конфета

конфета
  • Свой человек
  • 999 сообщений
Интересует вот какой момент: слово "often" в школе, университете и на курсах англ. языка меня учили произносить "офн", т.е. звук "т" не произносится, а, учась в Лондоне, слышала от коренных англичан иной вариант произношению - "офтен", т.е. "т" произносится. Так я и привыкла к этому произношения и всегда говорю так. Сегодня на работе (а я работаю в иностр.компании) все смеялись над моим произношением :D.
Знатоки британского английского, подтвердите, пожалуйста.

Stormer

Stormer
  • Свой человек
  • 555 сообщений

Интересует вот какой момент: слово "often" в школе, университете и на курсах англ. языка меня учили произносить "офн", т.е. звук "т" не произносится, а, учась в Лондоне, слышала от коренных англичан иной вариант произношению - "офтен", т.е. "т" произносится. Так я и привыкла к этому произношения и всегда говорю так. Сегодня на работе (а я работаю в иностр.компании) все смеялись над моим произношением :spy:.

Американцы смеялись наверное) У них t не произносится (как и в словах fasten, listen и т.п.)
Тест на знание английского. Хоть и длинный, зато оценка честная получится.

GRL.Slaver

GRL.Slaver

Флудолюбивое Аццкое Добро

• В доску свой
  • 3 564 сообщений

Интересует вот какой момент: слово "often" в школе, университете и на курсах англ. языка меня учили произносить "офн", т.е. звук "т" не произносится, а, учась в Лондоне, слышала от коренных англичан иной вариант произношению - "офтен", т.е. "т" произносится. Так я и привыкла к этому произношения и всегда говорю так. Сегодня на работе (а я работаю в иностр.компании) все смеялись над моим произношением :spy:.

Американцы смеялись наверное) У них t не произносится (как и в словах fasten, listen и т.п.)
Тест на знание английского. Хоть и длинный, зато оценка честная получится.

Скажу даже более... Буква "т" в английском много где лукавит. Интересное слово Restaurant... Как нам пояснял препод из америки произносится слово весьма интересно... рест-рант. Вот уж бы никогда не подумал чо при произношении гласная может выпадать

_ПришелеЦ_

_ПришелеЦ_

он же Michael Madsen

• Забанен
  • 1 692 сообщений
Стормер
Америкоты тоже говрят ОфТэн, есть слово Mead and Meadow.

Количество пользователей, читающих эту тему: 0

пользователей: 0, неизвестных прохожих: 0, скрытых пользователей: 0

Размещение рекламы на сайте     Предложения о сотрудничестве     Служба поддержки пользователей

© 2011-2022 vse.kz. При любом использовании материалов Форума ссылка на vse.kz обязательна.